Friday, November 27, 2009

Shifting vices

I have two vices; whiskey and tobacco which consist of cigars and pipe. Whenever winter begins to set in, the winds of change overtake my whiskey and smoking habits, I can't explain it, it just happens. During temperate months I drink bourbon and smoke cigars almost exclusively but as colder weather sets in, I rotate in Scotch and pipe smoking. There's just something about cold weather and my pipe with a nice dram of Single Malt Scotch. Am I alone? I know this blog is about bourbon but I'm curious if anyone else shakes things up a little as winter sets in. As the Thanksgiving celebration settled down last night, I sat on the front porch enjoying a bowl of pipe tobacco for the first time in quite a few months. It was really nice and I look forward to having another. Another change over the winter is a gravitation toward higher proof bourbons like George T. Stagg or William LaRue Weller; typically cut with a little water or a small cube of ice.

So let's hear it, stay the course or take a right turn and go off road for the winter?

1 comment:

  1. Greg:

    Can't say as I identify with the tobacco thing, as I am a chewer and don't light up (asthma), and i can't say as I relate to the single malt thing either (bad experience in college), but I do find myself gravitating towards higher rye bourbons and away from wheaters. I think the high rye, and higher proof bourbons produce a better burn on the finish that I appreciate more in the cooler months. When it is hot out I gravitate more towards the subtle finish of wheat bourbon. Now that the winter has set in Rye is where my choices take me, and the higher proof too.
    -Don

    ReplyDelete