Thursday, August 20, 2009

Exam-o-Dram - 1980 Old Grand Dad 114

If you're old enough to remember the 1960's then you certainly remember Batman and Robin. At some point during the show, they would get into a scuffle and you'd see action pop ups showing the destruction of their foe. The only reason I mention this is because I'm having a small pour of a 1980 Old Grand Dad 114. At the first sip, the high rye bourbon explodes on the palate and let's you know this isn't a lightweight bourbon. The color is rich amber and as I said, the flavor really bursts on the tongue. When nosing this bourbon, you can pick up the alcohol so it's a warning of what's to come. I would say that this drinks a little hotter than 114 proof but maybe I'm just wimpy today. This is a very good high rye, high proof bourbon and not a beginner's drink. I can't give any impressions on the current release of this bourbon but at first pour, you may want to add a small splash of water or a couple of cubes. As Batman once said "Fore-warned is fore-armed."

No comments:

Post a Comment