Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fall Whisk(e)y Splurge

I've been hammering away at adding quite a few world whisky selections to the bunker that primarily includes Scotch but I've also acquired some Japanese as well.  I've managed through friends and online to pick up some nice selections below market value.  I did pick up some additional bourbons as well; some dusties and some current.

On the bourbon front, I picked up three Colonel E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof selections.  I've not been chasing these since they came to market but figured it was time to play catch up since some of my fellow enthusiasts seem to like the various offerings.  I picked up five bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof to add what I already had in the bunker.  I really believe this bourbon is undervalued for a 12 year cask selection.  Next up I scored two original release Wild Turkey Rare Breed 1-91.  I have a 2-91 open and it's fantastic whiskey.  Too bad Wild Turkey isn't what it used to be.  I also picked up a Wild Turkey Cheesy Gold Foil, Wild Turkey 12 year split label and a Wild Turkey Legend.  I'm a fan of the older Wild Turkey so I'm very happy to have these in the bunker.  Last an Ancient Age 86 proof liter from 1981 made its way on the bunker shelf.

On the Japanese front I added a Memories of Karuizawa 16 year, HST Karuizawa 14 year and a Mars Kagoshima 25 year.  The Kagoshima Distillery stopped producing whisky way back in 1984 and  Karuizawa stopped production in 2000 after producing whiskey for nearly 50 years. I have two Karuizawa in the bunker, a 13 year and a 31 year.  The 13 year is probably one of the most complex and interesting whisky I've ever had.  Last, I added a Nikka Coffey Grain.

Scotch has been the biggest addition to the bunker in the last month.  Balvenie, located in Dufftown, pumps out some pretty good Scotch and I added three out of production Founders Reserve 10 year and two Tun 1401 Batch 9 along with the new Tun 1509 Batch 1.  Also added were Glenfarclas 21 year, two Ardbeg Ardbog for about $80 a piece; well below retail in 2013, an out of production Glenmorangie 15 year, and one I'd never heard of; a 20 year Authroisk that I pulled the trigger on based on some reviews.  From K&L I picked up a very interesting selection; Michel Couvreur Peaty Overaged Malt Whisky.  They've sold out but am glad to have nabbed two bottles as it's fantastic.  A dusty blended Scotch made it's way to the bunker; a late 70's Cutty 12.  This will be opened soon as I'm very curious about this one.

This year has also seen barrel selections come in from Smooth Ambler, Four Roses and Jim Beam.  I'll get to those later.

For now, I'm just trying to make room for all these new additions.

2 comments:

  1. I used to think heaven was where I wanted to go when I died. Now it's Greg's Bunker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....wonder if I could take my bunker with me?

      Delete