Thursday, November 1, 2012

Whiskey vs. Whisky

I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of like minded whisk(e)y enthusiasts this past week while on business in Dallas.  We had a good time enjoying multiple pours in the Gaylord Texan Cigar Lounge (we kind of snuck stuff into the lounge).

I've mentioned before that my whiskey journey started with Bourbon and after many years began branching out to other whiskies.  In talking with one of the guys, Tim, he started with Scotch and migrated toward Bourbon.

While I still buy quite a bit of Bourbon, those dollars are for the most part focused on barrel picks.  The other portion of my disposable income now goes to other whiskies like Scotch, Irish, etc.  I can see this starting the slip down that slippery slope since there's not many other whisk(e)y expressions that I don't like in some fashion, obviously, some better than others. 

Tim was gracious enough to pick up a new Scotch expression for me from Specs Liquor in Dallas that was a selection in a recent Scotch tasting he attended.  The Duncan Taylor 19 year Caperdonich ended up being one of the tops picks and Tim highly recommended it.  So, being very game and trusting Tim's palate, he grabbed two bottles, one for me and another for a friend.

That got me thinking about how my purchasing has changed over just the last year.  Looking at the bunker I've added a number of various Scotch expressions in just the last 10 months that include:

Caperdonich 19
Compass Box Spice Tree
Glenmorangie 18
Balvenie 21
Glenburgie 14
Glen Grant
Signatory Royal Lochnagar 17
Springbank 10
Springbank Claret 12
Springbank 13
Springbank Madeira 14
Aberfeldy 21

Prior to that I added:

Redbreast 12 cask
Yamazaki 18
Jameson 18
Rosebank 20
Aberlour a'bunadh batch 22
Greenspot Irish
Slieve Foy 8
Greenore 18
The Glenlivet Nadurra 16
Balblair '89

I see over time my purchasing becoming more balanced in the acquisition of Whiskey and Whisky.  I feel I missed out on years of great drinking by ignoring Scotch, Irish, Japanese and the like.  Better late than never I guess.  By the way, the recent release of Balvenie 17 year Doublewood is giving me palpitations.

Question:  Anyone else find more diversity in their whisk(e)y purchases?  If so, what?

4 comments:

  1. I used to be more diverse when I became more serious in my buying efforts. Now, I'm way more inclined to buy bourbon and rye than other whisky. I started out drinking bourbon first too. 
    I've splurged lately because it's that time of the year. Here's what I can remember buying the past couple of months, a couple of Van Winkle Ryes, a couple of Parker's Heritage Four Grains, a couple of 2012 Sazerac 18s, a couple of 2012 William Larue Wellers, a couple of 2012 Thomas H Handys, three Vintage 21 Ryes, a Parker's Heritage 27yo, a first release of Parker's Heritage, a 2006 Old Forester Birthday, a portion of an Old Weller Antique barrel purchase and lastly, my only other whisky purchase which I think is a great one, an incredible Kilchoman single cask sherry release for Royal Mile Whiskies. 
    Not that diverse but I've decided only to buy single cask releases from places that don't put an E in my drink. If I could afford to, I'd grab a few more single cask releases of malt but I have to curb my spending considering I didn't plan on buying about five of the aforementioned bottles of bourbon and rye.
    Great to hear your adventures, Paolo Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paolo,

      That's a nice line up of purchases. While in Dallas I did get the opportunity to try the 2012 Handy and thought it was very good. A number of my Scotch purchases have been single cask and a number of those cask strength and I must admit there are a number of malt blends that are very nice also (e.g. Great King Street). Because I have so much bourbon and rye, I'm ok focusing some of my dollars on other whiskies....having a diverse bunker keeps my interest piqued.

      Delete
  2. Greg, if in the process of expanding your whisky horizons are interested in exchanging samples, please send me a note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Florin - shoot me an e-mail brbnizgud@yahoo.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete