Saturday, November 24, 2012

How to REALLY spend Black Friday

Every year on Black Friday my wife, her mother and all of her sisters get up at o'dark thirty and take off for a day of shopping.  Remember the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the dude gets beat with a sock filled with soap?  I'd choose that over shopping on Black Friday.....seriously.

So, since the girls would be gone a good 12+ hours, I decided an afternoon of BBQ, Beer, Bourbon and Poker was in order.  I invited the family men (brother in laws, nephews, etc.) for an afternoon of goofing off.

On Thanksgiving evening I took out a 12lb pork butt and let it sit out for a little over an hour to let it come up in temp a little bit.  I applied some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust rub and then tossed into the smoker.  I used bourbon barrel staves for the wood.

At 3:00 a.m. I got up and checked the temp.....167.  Perfect! I pulled it out, foiled it and placed it back into the smoker.  At 9:30 a.m. when the temp reached 207, I pulled it out, wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler to sit for a couple hours.

I prepped the food so at 1:00 when everyone arrived, we dug in and had some great BBQ.  On tap for beer we enjoyed some Bruery Saison Rue, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and Great Lakes Commodore Perry.  After lunch we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (my personal favorite) and drank Monty Pythons Holy Grail Ale (I know....corny but fun). 

We finished off the day with a 3 hour game of poker.  My sisters boyfriend who professed to have only played poker a couple of times and apologized for not fully understanding all the rules, cleaned us all out.

During the game we enjoyed some whiskey libations that included 1991 Eagle Rare 101, 1988 Weller Special Reserve, Caperdonich 19 year and Four Roses OESO barrel strength.

It was a good Black Friday and I'm thinking I'll repeat this next year....and hopefully win my money back.

2 comments:

  1. These are all my favorite things. Wish I had been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, dude! You maxed out on Black Friday! And I gotta say that it's near lunch time and all I can think about is a pulled pork sandwich now...mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete