Thursday, November 3, 2011

Oskar Blues Old Chub....good beer in a can


I've found a sweet spot in beers and it resides on Scottish Ales such as Founders Dirty Bastard, Bells Scotch Ale and Oskar Blues Old Chub.

From the OB website "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt. Old Chub features a skim-milk mouthfeel, semi-sweet flavors of cocoa and coffee, and a kiss of smoke. A head-turning treat for malt heads and folks who think they don’t dig dark beer."

To me the smoked malt comes through giving it a distinctive character. Color has a dark rudy color similar to a Porter. The flavor profile definitely coincides with the description from the website and includes bittersweet chocolate, dark roast coffee bean and a creamy caramel sweetness and no hops that I can detect. The mouthfeel is a little thin side but that's about the only negative. This is an outstanding Scottish Ale and it comes in a can no less. If you like malty beers leaning toward a dessert profile, check out Old Chub.

2 comments:

  1. Greg, I am glad to see you are still keeping up with your blog. It's been a while so I figured I would check in on you, hope all is well. I have been good still drinking bourbon but I have switched over more to beer, that's why I am posting on your beer review. ;) Oskar Blues makes some great beers. Thier Imperial IPA is the best thing in a can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan - great to hear from you. Hope all is well. Since we last spoke, I've really branched out exploring various craft and import beers. At present, I'm enjoying a Sam Smith Taddy Porter which is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete