Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Armsby Abbey - mmmm good


Prior to the Scotch dinner last Friday evening, we stopped in at Julio's Liquor to take a look around. I have to admit, it's a sick collection of fine beers and whiskey, enough to cause some minor hyperventilating when I walked inside. It was approaching the lunch hour so we asked Tom, one of Julio's very qualified beer experts for a recommendation and he advised we check out Armsby Abbey in Worcester.

Armsby Abbey come to find out is one slick eatery offering a menu comprised of incredibly delicious selections made from farm fresh ingredients; much of it sourced locally. That's the cake. The frosting is the superb beer selection to pair up with any of the great menu selections.

Back many years ago I did quite a bit of overseas travel with numerous trips through the middle east. That's where I learned to love hummus. Outside of my foodie experiences overseas, the hummus I've had here in the States is good, but not great. Ordering the hummus appetizer at Armsby Abbey resulted in a surprise; some of the best hummus I've ever had with a perfectly balanced mix of olive oil, garlic and lemon. The chickpeas were not mixed to a creamy mash but had a good consistency to it. I paired the appetizer with a Heady Topper brew. Not being a fan of hoppy beers this one was very nice with huge, fresh cut grapefruit on the nose and a very good balance of hops.

The menu description for my lunch selections was "Slow Roasted100% Grass-Fed Adams Farm Beef, Homemade Horseradish-Bleu Cheese Aoli, Roasted Sweet Onions, Bacon Vinaigrette dressed Arugula served on Homemade toasted Baguette"......hungry yet? I paired my sandwich with an pretty tasty Belgium Quad, Straffe Hendrick. Both were very enjoyable.

If you find yourself anywhere near Worcester Mass.....do yourself a favor and drop in and visit Armsby Abbey, it's worth the trip.

1 comment:

  1. The Abbey is awesome for all of the reasons you mentioned, plus it has a really cool atmosphere. If you dig beer and are back in town, the guys who own the Abbey also own The Dive Bar, which is exactly what it sounds like; a small, crappy bar a few miles away from the Abbey, but with an awesome selection of beers. One day I'll hit up one after the other, but I just can't seem to ever leave either place once I'm there.

    ReplyDelete